Monday, October 8, 2007

Skimboard test exercise

Basically a series of photos of my first attempt at building some kind of wood based surf object. I chose a skimboard to start with for several reasons (in no particular order):

1. Ease of construction.
2. My #2 son Robin is really into skimboarding, as are my other two (Chris & Steven) so we are starting to amass a quiver of skimbos.
3. Um, did I mention ease of construction?

Here are the top & bottom skims (3mm hardwood ply) cut to shape templated from a Victoria foamie skimboard.
Adding the centre and rail stringers - cutting to shape. For this design I thought transverse stringers might not be needed - we'll see.











Yep - two trusty tools - a surform and a belt sander
Hmmm. My first mistake already - (both!) rail stringers were cropper by 20 mm to allow for the 200 mm centre stringer...Doh! But the joys of wood are such that I can fill that one up with some extra wood & glue!!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: